- Teach students the principles of strategic communication campaign development.
- Promote peer learning through cooperative commercial and social marketing projects.
Download the syllabus
- J345 Course Readings
- Client Brief for Hilton Aspire Card
- Client Brief for Marriott Bonvoy Card
- Springboard Approach
- Creative Brief
- Plan Example #1
- Plan Example #2
- Pitch Presentation #1
- Pitch Presentation #2
- Introduction & Challenges
- Strategic Responses & Campaigns
- Integrated Marketing & Modern Agencies
- Research and Account Planning
- Understanding Audiences
- Legal and Ethical Issues
- Using Marketing Data
- Social-Psychology of Strategy
- Account Strategy
- Message Strategy and Creative Brief
- Public Relations Planning
- Public Relations Execution
- Media Planning
- Media Buying
- Creative Messages
- Promotions and Buzz Marketing
- Interactive Media
- Social Media
- Book and Presentation
- Social and Political Marketing
- Future in Strategic Communication
- Teach students the theory and practice of public opinion research.
- Collect and analyze opinion time-series, survey experimental and content analytic data.
Download the syllabus
- Nature of Opinion
- History of Public Opinion
- Public Opinion and Policymaking
- Attitudes & Opinions: Psychological Perspectives
- Cognitions & Opinion: Nature of Mass Opinion
- Social Influence & Personal Networks
- Social Conflict & Structure
- Agenda Setting and Framing
- Cultivation Effects
- Campaign Ads
- Third Person Effects
- Spiral of Silence
- Research Design
- Survey Research
- Experimental Methods
- Content Analysis
- Concepts and Measures
- Reliability and Validity
- Sampling and Non-Response
- Presentation Guide and Example
- Relationship Testing
- Consumer Culture
- Political Consumerism
- Example Group Presentation #1
- Example Group Presentation #2
- Example Group Presentation #3
- Teach students the full range of mass communication research methods.
- Conduct team research projects to promote student understanding.
Download the Syllabus
Download the Workbook (optional learning guide)
CLASS RESEARCH PROJECT
- 2016, 2018, and 2020 Survey Codebooks
- Concept Explication Assignment (optional exercise)
- Concepts and Questions Assignment
- Data and Methods Assignment
- Data Analysis Assignment
- Course Textbook: Babbie (2016). The Practice of Social Research.
- Course Reading: McLeod & Pan (2005). Concept Explication and Theory Construction.
- Course Reading: Monge & Contractor (2003). Theories of Communication Networks
- Supplemental Readings (Zipped File)
- Survey Data Readings (Zipped File)
- Research Inquiry.ppt
- Logic and Ethics.ppt
- Concept Explication.ppt
- Research Design.ppt
- Reliability and Validity.ppt
- Measurement and Observation.ppt
- Project Design Workshop.ppt
- Project Explication Workshop.ppt
- Experimental Methods.ppt
- Survey Research.ppt
- Making Presentations.ppt
- Teach graduate students the processes underlying conducting and publishing empirical research: Theory construction, measurement, report writing and reviewing, and programmatic inquiry.
- Students apply learning to their own research through development of independent project.
- Download the syllabus here.
- Download seminar readings here.